Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy erection day...i mean election.

I've been asked by multiple people, and when I say multiple, I mean more than 1 and less than 3 to keep the blog coming fast and furious, so I'm back with yet another installment. Though It's lacking on quality photos and salacious, controversial stories. It is full of what I've been up to, which is having a really good time.

It's been election time the past few weeks. For campaigning the politicians get groups of people, put them on street corners, blare loud music and make them dance, smile, wave and bow. it's noisy and i like it. Some foreigners complain about the noise it causes outside their window, but I would trade it anyday for the semi-trucks and car accidents outside mine.
It was an important election, more democrats won, which goes against the prime ministers party and there was a strong turnout, 53%, the highest in 15 years. But now it's over and the streets are free of singing and dancing for another year.

Here are some of the reasons why don't have ton of crazy things to share.
*I'm not traveling, I'm just living. After being on the road, in a new city, town, village, campground, bus station for the past 4 years, I'm now grounded in one city. And it feels great. I'm playing sports, getting in really good shape. making friends that I'll keep for more than week. Riding my bike around town,( and risking death every time), going hiking, hitting the beach, going trail running with the legendary Alison Lewis, staying out till 5am, going to baseball games.
Things started a little rough, but overall I'm having a really great time and am really happy.

I took my bike to some new areas and found hundreds of older Koreans, called Ajima's and Ajashis, drinking, eating, singing and dancing. This group gave me some chicken, soju and raw fish. As you can see they were all in their special uniforms of bright colored vests and huge. visors.
Yes, I know the photos are pretty sparse, I didn't have much to sort through. The two days that were photo worthy i neglected to bring my camera. One was a dinner with a few of my co-teachers. We went to a raw fish restaurant, their choice not mine. I had my first experience with raw octopus. It was served on small plate, drenched in oil, still quivering, turining and squirming and sticking to the plate. When you put in your mouth you have to start chewing right away, or it will suction on to your tongue. We also dined on some fried fish bone, sea snails, shashimi and sea weed.
The other was another baseball game, but this time we sat in the foreigners only "excitement zone." Complete with cheerleaders between the innings, and a man in a white tuxedo who dances and leads chants for all the players. The highlights of the nights were getting interviewed by the English radio station in Busan and starting a rouge wave. I guess you are only supposed to participate in the wave when it's started by a certain cheer zone, or atleast not by a bunch of foreigners. The sent security to our zone immediately to squash the already rolling zone, but it did not happen.

Above is a plate of food. Gimbap and donkas. It was really delicious. It cost 5000 won, or a little more than 4 dollars. No tax, no tip. So the cost of food in South Korea is similar to Costa Rica. The food here is awesome. I eat out all the time and it barely costs more than cooking at home.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog m'friend! Way to keep things short and entertaining... plus, you've taken some really awesome pictures! (I expect to see some clothed dogs in shoes with the next post)

    ReplyDelete